My BFF Kerrie dropped by to show me how to make some of her favorite cheap and easy snacks (like us!) to please a crowd. As always, we took an hour to make a 5-minute recipe and talked about nearly everything but the snacks…including my near-death experience with Spanx (15:45 in).
We also tried out my new fancy-schmancy Mevo Plus camera, which creates all sorts of cool camera angles. It’s like we have a real show! 🙂
CHEX MIX — WITH A TWIST!
- 3 cups Corn Chex™ cereal
- 3 cups Rice Chex™ cereal
- 3 cups Wheat Chex™ cereal
- 1 cup mixed nuts
- 1 cup bite-size pretzels (GET THE STICKS!)
- 1 cup garlic-flavor bite-size Gardetto’s Rye Chips or garlic bagel chips
- 1 cup Cheez-Its (the regular cheese ones!)
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (I think I might have this…do you?)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
In large bowl, mix cereals, nuts, pretzels, rye chips and Cheez-Its; set aside. In small microwavable bowl, microwave butter uncovered on High about 40 seconds or until melted. Stir in seasonings. Pour over cereal mixture; stir until evenly coated. Spread mixture onto two baking sheets and bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Spread on paper towels to cool. Store in airtight container.
- 1 full box saltine crackers (Krispy or Zesta if you can get ‘em)
- 2 packages of Hidden Valley Ranch
- ¼ cup crushed red pepper
- 1 1/3 cup canola oil
Mix ranch mix, red pepper flakes and canola oil together. Place crackers in a large bowl, drizzle mixture over them while stirring around to fully coat (this is easier to do in batches). Transfer crackers to large Zip-Loc bags and allow to rest for 24 hours so the crackers have time to soak in the oil and seasoning.
Serve them alongside your favorite dips or on cheese and charcuterie boards.
- 1 block of Philly Cream Cheese (we’ll talk about pouring jam over it for a quick dip snack)
- Jalapeno jam